About Me

My name is Nicole, a multitasker who wears many hats - a mom, a wife, a full-time salesperson, and a self-proclaimed crazy cat lady. Despite my busy schedule, I find solace in creating DIY projects and unleashing my creative side through building, restoring, renovating, sewing, and crafting. With a passion for all things DIY, I have honed my skills over the years and am now excited to share my expertise with the world. Whether it's refurbishing old furniture, creating handmade gifts, or designing my own furniture or home decor, I believe that anyone can tap into their inner creativity with a little guidance and inspiration. Through my blog, I hope to help people discover their own DIY potential and empower them to create their own unique masterpieces. Get ready to be inspired and unleash your inner crafter with me, as I take you on a journey of creativity, sharing tips, tricks, and step-by-step guides to help you bring your own DIY dreams to life.

Monday, March 25, 2013

Rest in Peace, Mom 6/18/44 - 3/3/13

On March 3 my life changed forever. I lost my mom. The days since have been a blur. I've busied myself with tasks around the house, as if keeping busy would somehow speed up the grieving process, or make me forget, but it hasn't. There is no forgetting. There are moments where I don't cry, there have even been a few where I've laughed, but not a day goes by - hell not an hour goes by where I don't think about her. I think how I'll never hear her voice again. How I'll never see her smile again. How I'll never see the excitement in her eyes when I tell her something the kids have accomplished. I wonder if I was a good enough daughter, and I beat myself up that I didn't visit her more often, or how at times I'd be "too busy" to answer her call. I hate myself for taking her for granted, and at times I hate myself for wishing she was here, because in the end, I know she was miserable. She was in constant pain and was ready to die, yet she held on - I believe, for us. I feel selfish for wanting her to be in pain so I can have her here alive, rather than being at peace in heaven. I'm so sad my 4 year old will likely not remember her at all. I feel sorry for him. I feel sorry for my 11 year old because they were so close and I know he's struggling with the loss of her.

On March 3 when I arrived at the hospital, my mom was in the bed, and didn't seem to know I was there. She was mumbling and looking at the ceiling. I was screaming at her to look at me. I kept saying, "mom, do you know who I am", "mom, can you hear me", "mom, answer me". All I understood through her mumbling was "the kids". I told her, "mom the kids are good, do you understand". She didn't acknowledge me at all. Finally, when they told me that they needed to ask me to step out so they could intubate her, I grabbed her face and made her look me in the eyes and I yelled, "MOM, I LOVE YOU. I NEED YOU TO KNOW I LOVE YOU. I CAN'T GO UNTIL YOU TELL ME YOU LOVE ME". She looked me right in the eyes and said, "I LOVE YOU". That was the last thing my mother ever said.

My entire family was at the hospital and the boys were able to hold their Nana's hand and tell her they love her, they kissed her and when you'd yell at her to squeeze their hand, she would. I know she knew we were all with her, even though she was on a lot of medicine and on the ventilator. I am so very thankful that my mom held on so that the boys could say goodbye. I hate that their last memory will be her in the hospital, but I am glad she was able to squeeze their hand to let them know she loved them. It was shortly after the boys said goodbye that she passed. It was traumatic for me and my sisters to see. It was the absolute worst day of my life.

The second worse day was the day we buried her, Wednesday, March 6. It was overcast and gray outside. It was freezing. On the drive from the funeral home to the cemetery, we had the Quran playing in the car and I remember saying to Zouhair that it was a perfectly sad day to bury my mom. The weather was gloomy and cold and matched my mood perfectly. Arriving at the graveside service, and seeing my nephews and my son carry her casket to the grave was almost more than I could take. The funeral itself is a blur. I was just looking from the casket to my kids to my husband in between my sobs. At one point I had to keep myself from running away. Shortly after the funeral my 11 year old broke down in tears and I felt like I couldn't even properly comfort him at the moment because I too was hurting so much.


The days that followed were no easier. Today, three weeks later, I'm still in shock my mom is gone. I go through my phone and see the times we talked. I think about how regardless of the pain she was in, she'd call on birthdays and holidays. She thought first of her kids and her grandkids. My mom was not perfect, but looking back, she'd help anyone, she'd think first of others, and she generally always had a smile on her face. She loved her kids and grandkids and wanted nothing but our happiness. She lived to see us thrive. Her life was not fair. As long as I remember she had a hard time and the past ten years were pure hell due to her health. How she managed as long as she did, I will never know. She was stronger than I am, and she was a great example at how to keep on keeping on.

I choose to believe my mom is in heaven with her parents, her sister, and my brother. It's what keeps me going. I imagine her walking and dancing and being happy - for once, for herself. I don't know how heaven works exactly. I don't know if she sees us crying and suffering from missing her, but at times, I hope she doesn't. I want for her to be at peace and pain free. I want for her to be reunited with the son she lost so long ago.

The daily reminders will continue. I imagine I'm going to lose it on Mothers Day and on her birthday and a hundred times in between. Hell I've lost it at work, at Wal-Mart, driving in my car, at the dinner table, waking up in the middle of the night. It almost seems like its getting worse most of the time. I don't think I'll ever "get over" her death. I realize that at 32, I will likely live longer without a mom than I did with one. I hope that one day though, I can think of her and smile instead of crumbling.

2 comments:

  1. *hugs* When I first heard your voice on the radio all those years ago, I thought you were the gutsiest woman I had ever heard of. To travel halfway around the world for LOVE? That takes real courage and that doesn't happen by accident. I'm sure that she played a huge part in who you were then and who you are today and that legacy lives on in your boys, whether or not they remember her. So sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many os the people reading Nicoles blog have not had the pleasure of having her in your life. I have for more than 10 years she has beenore than a friend more like a sister to me. I hurt for her and her loss. She is so much stronger and braver than a women who traveled for love. She is so much more. Just wanted to say Im always here call me any time and your post was composed beautifully. Love U.

    ReplyDelete